Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pop Matters: a-ha, "Minor Earth Major Sky"



The title track from the a-ha album, Minor Earth Major Sky, released in 2000.

Despite being remembered in some quarters as a one-hit wonder of the 1980s for the mega hit "Take on Me", which was also a groundbreaking music video, a-ha has been releasing compelling pop music, with interesting and thought-provoking themes about the human condition, for almost three decades now. I was lucky enough to see them live at the height of their fame, in Glasgow, in 1988, and I've remained an admirer of their work to this day.

Here's a wonderful live version, from last year.


Bach is great... but pop matters too!

Paul Kimball

1 comment:

Dyingsun said...

It's fucking A-HA, they were great and they probably are still great. Coming from a death/thrash/black metal fan, for what it's worth.
Maybe I'm overreacting, but I bedded my first 'maiden'(meh) to an A-Ha song.
It's damn good pop music.

Marco